“Back door neighbors are best!” It’s a phrase we all know. And it’s true: the people we love the most are the ones who enter through the back entrance of our home. Whether that is a mudroom, the laundry, or a hallway, this space is the first and last impression we leave with our loved ones. That’s why it merits special touches to make it not only pleasant, but a reminder of our personal style.
All this sounds great, but let’s be honest! The back door has to be functional! And sometimes that means Keep it Simple.
This back door has a pretty view into a back courtyard, but otherwise is a very ordinary narrow hall. Here’s what we did:
1. We painted all the trim in SW White in high gloss. High gloss on millwork is easy to wipe down and reflects light. Perfect for this space.
2. We installed a top-down/bottom-up blind. Now, the courtyard can be admired with no obstruction, or the shade can be raised partially to allow light in, but maintain privacy.
3. We added performance wallpaper from the Thibaut Texture Resource 3 collection. Greater Gator in metallic pewter. It is scrubbable which is so important in a narrow entrance! A bonus is the reflective quality of the metallic finish.
4. Art from Wendover was chosen not only for the subject matter and the glass reflecting light, but the narrow frame doesn’t take up space or snag backpacks and grocery bags.
5. Notice we didn’t add a rug. Clean and simple.
Until next time,